S: Safe play all of the time. We strive to provide a safe environment for people to connect and enjoy their favorite video games.
M: Members only. Anyone who plays on your team needs to have an active Sport & Social Club profile.
A: Actively read through informational emails and rules every season. This will keep you up to speed on new issues.
R: Respect your opponents. We strive to build an inclusive gaming community, with zero tolerance for harassment or hateful conduct. Report all harassment and incidents if you desire official Sport & Social Club investigation.
T: Talk to the other team. Together, Sport & Social Club members can make a fun and safe gaming community.
NOTE: These guidelines may change periodically. SSC also reserves the right to pursue administrative courses of action that differ from what is written here in order to provide the best solution to issues that may arise.
Sport & Social Club Guidelines Table of Contents:
1. Team Captain Responsibilities
2. Team Names
3. Waivers and how to be a Sanctioned Sport & Social Club Player
4. Unsportsmanlike Play and Suspensions
5. Game Scheduling
6. Game Scores
7. Spirit Points
8. Game Score Discrepancies
9. League Standings and Tie Break Guidelines
10. Defaulting League Games
11. Player Eligibility
12. Pooling, Skill Levels and Divisions of Play
14. Refunds/Registration Issues
15. Contact Information
16. Double Headers
17. Minimum Age Requirement for Players
1) Team Captains must:
- Know the guidelines of the Sport & Social Club outlined here as well as the rules of their specific game.
- Ensure that their teammates are aware of these guidelines and rules.
- Ensure that all teammates have a Sport & Social Club profile.
- Provide the Sport & Social Club with a complete list of players and their contact information for their team by completing their rosters using the T.E.A.M. invitation system.
2) Team Names:
Team names must be set to the captains gamertag. Any team names not conforming to this or that contain profanity, obscenities, and any other words or sentiments considered offensive and/or inappropriate and that conflict with any Sport & Social Club guidelines and/or philosophy of sportsmanship are not allowed. Teams contacted by Sport & Social Club must change their team name upon request.
[back to top]
To be a sanctioned Sport & Social Club player, you must have an active Sport & Social Club profile (this facilitates completing the Sport and Social Club waiver and accepting the Sportsmanship and Fair Play agreement). To do this, the team captain must send the player an invitation from the T.E.A.M. system (the exception is individual registrants who complete the waiver when they sign-up). Teams that are using non-sanctioned players will default their game and may be asked to leave the leagues without refund. Please click here to read more about player eligibility.
[back to top]
4) Unsportsmanlike Play and Suspensions:
Play that is deemed to be deliberately malicious (excessive taunting, teamkilling, etc.) or unsportsmanlike chat (name calling, threats, intimidation and discriminatory behaviours of any kind) will not be tolerated by the Sport & Social Club and may result in the infracting player/team being ejected from the league without refund.
If reports of this kind of behaviour are received, the following steps are taken:
i) First report - player or team receives a formal warning.
ii) Second report - player or team receives a second warning and a possible suspension, per the discretion of the SSC Head Office
iii) Third report - player or team may be ejected from the league without refund and is not welcome back!
If a player is suspended from any SSC program, the suspension will apply to ALL of our leagues/activities until the conclusion of the initial suspension, unless they are informed otherwise. For example, if a member plays in a NHL league and is suspended for one game in week two, the suspension also applies to week two games in any other league as well.
Unsportsmanlike play can be reported in your TEAM profile. You must complete a form to file an official complaint about unsportsmanlike play. Only "official complaints" will be investigated by the Sport & Social Club.
PLEASE NOTE: Teams can and will be held responsible for their players' conduct. If someone on your squad is behaving inappropriately, it is YOUR responsibility to keep them from doing so.
The Sport & Social Club reserves the right to skip these steps as outlined above at their sole discretion and immediately eject a team or player from the league without refund. These decisions are non-appealable and failure to comply with them may result in further punitive measures.
[back to top]
5) Game Scheduling:
It is the team captain's responsibility to report the scores from each game by noon, two (2) business days after the game. This can be accomplished by logging into your Sport & Social Club profile (click the "my profile" button above). Follow the links through to your schedule and select a game date to submit a score for. For further information, please click here. Scores that have not been approved by noon within two business day will be automatically approved. Scores listed as being "Disputed" will not be approved until the teams agree on the score. If you think a score is incorrect, please dispute it by the noon deadline or else it will be automatically approved. NOTE: For the last regular season game of the season, the deadline changes to noon, ONE (1) business day after the game. This will assist with the prompt posting of playoff schedules. At the end of the regular season, all unreported scores from previous weeks will be entered as a 0-0 tie.
Both teams must agree on the final score. If an agreement cannot be made on the final score, then both teams will receive a default loss.
If a team plays the incorrect opponent, the score will be recorded as a tie for all teams involved. Please double check to make sure you are playing the right team prior to your game.
[back to top]
7) Spirit Points:
Spirit Points are awarded on a scale from 0-5. When reporting scores, the captain must indicate the number of spirit points they would like to award to the other team. If a captain fails to call in the score by the noon deadline, the other team will automatically receive a rating of 5. Once a spirit score has been submitted, it is considered final and cannot be changed. Note: If you make an error when submitting, you only have the option of increasing the spirit score.
If a team defaults their game, they automatically lose their right to award spirit points to the team that they defaulted against - and the team that was defaulted upon automatically receives a "5" for their spirit score. Teams that are defaulted against can award the defaulting team any value that they want.
Teams that play by the rules, start games on time and play with good sportsmanship will flourish! Click here for more details on Spirit Points.
[back to top]
Discrepancies or arguments regarding scores, complaints or any other ambiguous item must be dealt with within 3 business days after the latest posting of the scores on our website for the week in question. During the final week of the regular season, any and all discrepancies must be resolved by noon the following day. Captains should ensure that the score of their game has been recorded correctly by checking the Sport & Social Club website. Sometimes scores are delayed in being reported, but they will always be posted as soon as they become available.
[back to top]
9) League Standings and Tie Break Guidelines:
Wins are worth 2 points, ties are worth 1 and losses are worth 0. If a team defaults, they will lose one point. Standings can be accessed from your user profile.
To break a tie in the Final Standings:
1) Defaulted Games*
2) Head-to-head competition**
3) Head-to-head points /-
4) Head-to-head points against
5) Division points /-
6) Division points against
* If two or more teams are tied at the end of the regular season, the team(s) who defaulted the fewest games will recieve the higher seed.
** The head-to-head tiebreaker is based on the regular season match-ups between two or more teams that may be tied in the standings at the end of a season. Note that head-to-head tiebreakers will not apply if three or more teams are tied and those teams did not play against each other an equal number of times.
If two teams are tied, the winner of the regular season match between the two teams will be ranked higher.
If the two teams did not play each other, tied during the regular season, or played multiple games and tied in total points from those match-ups, then the next criterion for breaking a tie will be used.
If three or more teams are tied, all games between only the tied teams during the regular season will be evaluated, and the team that has a higher total game points from only those games will be ranked higher. This criterion can only be used if all of the tied teams played against each other during the regular season for the same number of games (i.e. Team A played Team B, Team B played Team C, and Team C played Team A). However, if the teams did not all play against each other during the regular season for the same number of games but common sense tells us one team should be ahead of others (i.e. Team A beat Teams B and C in the regular season, but Teams B and C did not play in the regular season) then in this unlikely (but still possible) situation, the SSC Admin reserves the right to use their best judgment to fairly seed the teams.
[back to top]
10) Defaulting League Games:
Teams that default more than 2 games may be asked to leave the league without refund. If you know you may not be able to get your game played in a specific week, please contact the other captain in advance; you should make every attempt to reschedule and find a suitable game time for both teams to get the game played.
In team based leagues, captains may agree to waive the rules regarding the minimum people but this MUST be decided before the game starts. Simple communication between team captains can clear this up quickly and easily.
- f you agree that the game will count in the standings, all players should be made aware of this decision. IF IT IS AGREED THAT THE GAME COUNTS, IT COUNTS!
- If you are entitled to win by default, you must clearly discuss your intentions to do so with your opponents. You can then proceed to play for fun with both captains completely understanding that the result will not count.
- If you start to play against a team without making your intentions crystal clear to your opponents, you CANNOT claim a default retroactively.
FOR PLAYOFFS, please refer to Player Eligibility:
- Teams that use players who are not listed on a team roster may be subject to default and/or ejection from the league.
- All players participating in playoff games MUST be listed on the team roster. Defaults may occur retroactively due to incomplete rosters.
- For regular seasons that are less than 5 weeks, players must attend a minimum of 1 game in order to be eligible for playoff games.
- For regular seasons that are 5 - 8 weeks long, players must attend a minimum of 2 games in order to be eligible for playoff games.
- For regular seasons that are 9 weeks or more, players must attend a minimum of 3 games in order to be eligible for playoff games. Please respect this rule. Ringers are not welcome at playoff night!
- During the regular season, team captains can use ANYONE as a player for their team as long as they have an active Sport & Social Club profile. It is sportsmanlike to only add players of the same approximate skill level. i.e. please do not add superstars to your recreational team. In compliance with the above player eligibility rule, players are able to play in multiple games on any given day (as full time or substitute players), but once a commitment is made to play for a specific team, for a specific game, that player must remain with that team for the duration of the game. A player cannot move from one team to another during the course of a game. Exception: if a team acquires a sub from another team to achieve the minimum number of players until their teammates arrive. In this scenario, that player can return to their original team, once the team is able to field a full lineup.
- Teams that use players who do not have an active Sport & Social Club profile will be subject to a default loss and/or ejection from the league. Our staff will be checking!
- All players participating in playoff games MUST be listed on the team roster.
- Teams that finish in higher positions of a division may be moved up a level at the Sport & Social Club's discretion at the end of a season.
- Teams that finish in lower positions of a division may be moved down a level at the Sport & Social Club's discretion at the end of a season.
- Pools may be reshuffled mid-season if the Sport & Social Club feels it is in the best interest of the majority of teams in a particular division.
- Skill levels may be combined depending upon the number of participants for each skill level.
- Prizes will be awarded on a league by league basis and will be clearly outlined during the registration period for each season.
- Prize packages, including the actual prizes or the number of prizes, are allocated at the sole discretion of the Sport & Social Club. Substitutions or exchanges may not be available.
- Prize packages change with each season. Please visit our awards page to see what the prize package is for the current season.
Registration is complete only when the full payment has been received.
Full refunds will be granted up to the registration deadline date for leagues. However, there are NO refunds (a) after the official registration deadline date or (b) once a program has filled to capacity.
No refunds due to defaulted, cancelled or rescheduled games. No refunds due to injuries.
Teams or individuals suspended or ejected from Sport & Social Club leagues due to any breaches of these Guidelines will not receive refunds.
All registrations are filled on a first come first served basis. If there are extenuating circumstances where the Sport & Social Club cannot fulfil your registration, a league representative will be in touch as soon as possible.
Individual Registration: Individual registrants are welcomed and encouraged to register, and all attempts will be made to place you on a team. The success rate of placing individuals on teams is very high, and it is a wonderful opportunity to meet and have fun with other people in the community. However, placement on a team is subject to available space and there are a number of factors that can impede our ability to get you playing.
No refunds after Special Event/Tournament registration deadline OR once an event has SOLD OUT, whichever comes first.
- Team-mates and SSC staff have access to all your contact information, including your email address.
- Non-team-mates can send you messages through our TEAM messaging system - which you receive as email - but cannot see your email address.
- If you are the captain of a team, other captains in the same pool can see your phone numbers, but not your email address. They can also use the messaging system to contact you (this does not disclose your email address). This is necessary to facilitate communication about game times, defaults, late arrivals etc.
- Finally, you have the option of hiding your phone numbers from any other users in the system other than ones listed above. This can managed in the "Edit My Profile" tab in your TEAM profile.
For standings purposes, every team must play the same number of games (Note: teams entering late into a league may be excluded from this).
- If everyone in your division plays a double-header, then both games will count towards the standings.
- If some teams do not play a double-header during the season, then the first game of the double-header will count for both teams in the standings, but the second game will only count for the double-header team's opponent in the standings.
- If some, but not all, teams play more than one double-header, then for the second double-header in the schedule the first game will count for both teams in the standings, but the second game will only count for the double-header team's opponent in the standings.
- NOTE: Double header schedules do not always work out perfectly. Sometimes a few teams (or only one team) will not have a double header week. The net result is that some teams end up playing extra games (i.e. more games than what was originally promised during registration) while some teams simply get the exact number of games promised during registration. We will NOT compensate the teams that do not get these extra games. Similarly, we do not charge more for teams that get extra games.